Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Dog Tale


Smug Mug
Sunday was an uneventful rainy day at Milepost 49 Boarding House. The tenants were content to watch some football and enjoy homemade banana bread while hanging out. I bought a bag of bananas at the grocery store for $1 – about 4 lbs. in total. The bananas were ripe and although the dogs have at least one a day for breakfast, the fruit needed to be consumed quicker than they could eat it, without actually gorging themselves that is. They wondered what the problem was in doing just that? Instead I made some bread for everyone.

The pack and I had just returned from the dog park when a downpour of rain began falling, drenching the sidewalks. I ran in the house with the dogs and then returned to Dora to get the rest of our things. I was gone less than a minute. I opened the door to find five dogs congregating in the kitchen and went to investigate the obvious bottleneck situation. Lying between them on the floor was a yellow fiesta ware plate facedown, along with a piece of bunched up Glad Wrap beside it. I was amazed that the plate was still in one piece after falling off the counter. And then it dawned on me; this was the banana bread plate and the Glad Wrap that covered it. The bread was gone, not even a crumb left. I’m sure the tenants didn’t eat the whole thing in the last hour? Grrrrr!

The five dogs ran for cover as the first word from my mouth rang out. ANNE! Thank goodness the tenants had left the house already because it was loud. Anne was nowhere to be found. I searched the front room, her crate, and my bedroom eventually finding her sitting innocently at the back door in the media room with her ears pinned against her little head, looking guilty as hell with a smirk on her lips. Her best defense is always the look of wonder on her face – “who, ME?”

Just when I think the place is finally “Anne Proof,” she strikes again! She knew she was busted, so what did she do? Well, she gazed right at me and began licking her lips, exaggerating the action. Was she in fact showing gratitude for the delicious bread she had just inhaled? Or was she just being a smartass? I have yet to figure that one out, but if I had to guess it would be the later. And I swear I heard a tiny voice admit: “Yelp, it was me. I snagged it off the counter and ate most of it myself! That’s why you call me Anne Banane.”

Oh Banane you are such an opportunist and the other dogs adore you for your amazing counter snags, although all they get are the crumbs that splatter when your prize hits the floor. It’s not the first time and it won’t be your last feat at scoring available food. Apparently Larry the Cable Guy left the bread too close to the edge of the counter. You were once again forced to perform your jump and grab routine while the other dogs watched in awe. Why do you keep doing it? Well, Duh. . . Because it works and you are always rewarded big time for your effort! 

Anne Banane is hilarious, full of personality and keeps me on my toes. She's always just a sniff away from being in trouble. Her appetite is unsatiable. But who can resist that face - certainly not me.

Woof! Woof!
Coming soon. . . "The Italian"

1 comment:

  1. Well, Anne is quite an opportunist....we all forget our fuzzy friends habits when we go outside and leave them to their devices...thinking that they will be smarter? duh....
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete